Sunday, February 24, 2013

Never Trust a Rodent


That time of year came early this trip around the sun.  I've reached the point where waking up to snow no longer signifies childish excitement.  There is no novelty left in scraping off my windshield. 

I'm dreaming of my garden.  I'm dreaming of flowers blooming along our fence line.  I'm dreaming of home grown tomatoes. 

The last couple of weeks have been mild.  Little snow, optimistic sunshine and a confirmation from the rodent that we place our lose-your-coat hopes on.  Hey Mr. Groundhog...  did you predict the 8 inches of snow that have fallen in the last 48 hours?  UGH!

I pretty much feel like this:



It's my fault.  I shouldn't have let myself dream.  I live in Idaho after all.  I shouldn't have gone to Home Depot and purchased the tiny plants that are bringing life to our home.  I shouldn't have bought the lovely yellow primrose that has been paired with a blue pot -- the perfect spring Bobcat accessory.  I REALLY shouldn't have purchased the basil plant that sits in my kitchen window, begging for fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I told you.  I shouldn't have allowed myself to dream of the mercury in that tiny tube, raising at the same rate as my hopes for a magical summer.

In light of such dismal weather prospects, let's temper our mood a little, shall we?  If you are feeling the same way that I am, you'll love this quick tutorial.  It involves cutting up a winter sweater...   Craig's sweater in this case. 

To my wonderful husband:
Sorry love!  You were gone and I could not contain my excitement for this project.  You will forgive me for the scissor therapy, won't you?



This no-sew project is very simple.  First, find the sweater that signifies winter the most to you and, CUT OFF THE DAMN SLEEVES!  (This is a DIY protest, people!  Hang in there.)

Next, find a sad little plant that was meant for the garden, not on a shelf in my living room.

Place the vase in the sleeve.  I suggest that the cuff go on the bottom.  That way it is more secure when you pick it up. 


Then, simply fold the top of the sleeve over twice to reveal this fun cloth pot cozy. 


Alright.  This is making me feel just a bit warmer.  I'm kind of in love with this DIY.


Oh, but my husband isn't.  Sorry baby.  Maybe you can go and coach the New England Patriots with glam fashion like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment