Saturday, February 23, 2013

An Elephant of a Find


My grandmother called it rummaging.  My 9th grade Biology teacher called it junkin'.  I call it pickin'.

There are few things in this world that are more exciting than digging through the hidden treasures of an old home.  I find so much joy in repurposing décor back to it's glory day.  A little spit-shine on site at the sale tells of opportunity and newness.  A fun, albeit quirky future awaits. 

Would it surprise you to know that I thought my stuffed animals came to life as a kid?

There was an estate sale across the street from my office.  A perfect little historical home with original woodwork and a brick façade that must have taken many men and many hours to erect at the turn of the 20th century.  There are treasures to be had. 

So what did I find?  This sweet little elephant clock.


A quick search online tells me that this whimsical piece is from 1945.  I imagine the tiny little hands that must have turned these dials. The little hands that misplaced the pegs that are to be inserted at each hour.  I imagine those same little hands, grateful for a war to be over and the promise of hope and opportunity laid out before them.  The little hands that are now hindered by painful joints and wrinkled skin.   

I haven't quite decided what to do with it.  I may insert a clock mechanism bringing life to the sweet red and yellow hands.  I may not touch it at all -- it could be a fun toy for children that Craig and I may one day have.  For now, the elephant rests his heavy feet on the shelf in our guest room.  After all, who could resist that welcoming smile. 

Oh, and one other quick find: 

How about some goosebump balls, eh?  Let it be known that I did not purchase this box full of awesome.  Maybe it was the marketing...   You can just barely make out the writing on the side that says "honk if you like goosebumps"....  in what world did this advertising work?! 

 
I'll stick with whimsical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment